Tuesday 28 August 2012

EDM#31 Draw something you collect


I collect cameras, especially old film cameras. I started doing photography pretty much in the digital era and had very little experience of film. Digital doesn't entirely satisfy me, there's always that eerie sense of being slightly manipulated or conned by gadgets and gimmicks, these AIs that are supposed to know what you want, who you are, what you want to photograph and how. I love the fact that old cameras, especially cheap compacts, do what they want, and that you, as a photographer, need to work around their quirks. I thought it would be fun to draw a couple of my old cameras with a silverpoint, to make them look even older, almost contemporary to Leonardo. I just stuck a silver wire (i.e. an ex earring) into a mechanical pencil, and voilĂ .

And here are some examples of my film photography, using a variety of cameras:





No comments: